Saturday, May 7, 2011

People Can Be Unpredictable Part 1

People Can Be Unpredictable Part 1
The world isnt always predictable, and the people in it can be even less so.

Let me tell you about a situation in which the stare method did not work. In fact, it caused serious problems and almost got me beat up. This is a good example of why you need to evaluate each situation individually.

This particular episode happened a few months ago. It was a warm Thursday evening and a few of us from work were heading out to the local pub. I had been making tremendous improvements in my social anxiety and had actually started hanging around with this group after work.

We arrived at around 5:30pm and the patio was already packed. There were four of us (Cathy, Diana, Mark, and myself). Luckily we got there just as a group was leaving.

I enjoyed these little outings because it gave me a chance to work on my socializing skills (of which I was still sadly lacking). Not to mention, I genuinely enjoyed the company. I dont know, I just seemed to click with this group for some reason - it was like I had known them my entire life. I felt like I could be myself.

Sitting there, sipping a nice cold beer, on a patio, on a warm summer night, I felt like that was it. It didnt get any better. Food, drink, stimulating conversation, great atmosphere - I felt like I had finally arrived. This is what life is all about, I thought - this is what Id been missing all these years. I wanted nothing else - I was happy.

After a few hours, the girls said they had to leave and, had we been smart, we would have left also. But, we were enjoying ourselves so much that Mark and I decided to stay for one more beer. The girls left and we ordered our drinks.

By this time, the patio had cleared out nicely. There were only about 5 parties left, including us.

There was a group of people at the far end (2 men and 2 women). They were in their late twenties, I would guess, obviously drunk, and getting louder by the minute.

I noticed that one woman kept looking at our table, turning to her friend, whispering something that was obviously funny, then joining the other in a good laugh. This irritated me a little because Mark and I were just sitting there minding our own business. We werent loud or boisterous. We werent looking at them. We were just two guys sitting at a table, having a beer for gods sake. My first thought was that they were staring at someone else, but our table was pretty much by itself.

I mentioned this to Mark and he said that they were probably flirting with us. I didnt think so because they were with some pretty big jock types. Why would they be flirting with us? Besides, I had a better view than Mark and I could tell that they were not flirting, but instead, having a good laugh at our expense. I couldnt make out what they were saying, but I knew it was negative.

I decided to ignore them, but it started ramping up and I was feeling pretty self-conscious. It was at that point that I decided to try the stare method. After all, it had been working great since I started using it, and had helped me through some tough situations.

Things didnt quite work out according to plan



Origin: break-seduction.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment