Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Boredom Just How Far Will A Woman Go To Escape It Far Enough To Wreck Your Relationship And Marriage

MUST READ! I've talked a lot about how much of a problem boredom is for women, and why, but the obvious examples of boredom, affairs and dramatic outbursts, don't hold a candle to what this woman reveals!Well boys and girls, I made it back from Front Sight in one piece with a graduate certificate in hand and a lot of sore muscles. Saying their empty hand defense course is a real workout would qualify for an "Understatement of the Year Award," and firing 600 rounds from a large caliber handgun while standing in the desert over the course of four days is quite a hand-beating experience and a challenge to the joints, one that reminds you of your age frequently. ;-) And I HIGHLY recommend it.So now that I'm back, I hope you're ready to have your world rocked, because it's about to happen.Anybody who has been reading this newsletter very long knows that I rarely use the words "MUST READ" in a title or summary, quite simply because I want to maintain credibility for the few times when I really send you a true "MUST READ" issue. This is one of them. Why?The letter I'm about to show you left me speechless for several minutes, a feat I'm sure many of you may perceive as bordering on impossible. I had heard of such things happening, but never with such destructive and self-destructive force and disregard for the consequences. Meet Hannah:Dear David,I have something to share with you and your other readers that I think will shock some and make some say "My wife would never do something like that, " but it happens and I think it's about time that a lot of eyes were opened. After 18 years of marriage I recently was divorced and could not for the life of me figure out why, that is until I looked back at our marriage and what went on year after year. What I found was not pretty, but until I faced it, I knew I could never have a successful relationship ever again.For years I and a group of very close girlfriends had what we always called a book club. We would meet twice a month to discuss what the latest book we were supposed to have read. Key words here are "supposed to have," because we never turned the first page of any book at all. This was our excuse to get out of the house and have a few drinks and really think of ways to cause major damage to our marriages.At the time, major damage to our marriages was not at all what we intended, but the truth is we were kidding ourselves. Actually lying is what we were doing, but we were too busy calling it a contest to make it seem as if we were only playing around, not hurting our husbands and dooming our marriages.We were horribly bored, because our husbands left us alone constantly to keep house and watch the kids while they worked late (whether they really worked or had an affair), played golf, worked on their cars, went fishing together, etc. We got one night every two weeks and they got the other 13, so on our one night, we made up for lost time with too much booze and drama.We were also immature and honestly, in need of male leadership that wasn't there, and two of our group ended up being alcoholics from trying to drown their boredom in vodka. One ended up with a "disease" from one of her affairs, and several of us are now divorced.I guess I need to explain in detail what the contests are and the rules of the game. This way you can better understand what took place and how some of us are now alone and why at 40+ years old we are looking for jobs to put food on the table and clothes to wear.It really started out that I did not have the ability to keep my big mouth shut when I should have sit quietly. One night after a few drinks, I bragged to my friends that I could get my husband to do anything I told him or buy me anything I asked him too. That was all it took for the idea of the contest to be born and as time went by you will see what happened.The contest, as we called it, was just simply a cruel way to see who could get the biggest and best thing from their husband, money be damned. Each woman in the group took turns thinking of what outcome would make one the winner of the contest. There was no prize to be won except for bragging rights until the next contest.The first contest was actually pretty mild compared to what was going on when my divorce papers were delivered. We went from seeing who could get their husbands to pay for girl's nights out to who had the biggest and best house, car and the most expensive jewelry. At first it was so easy to pull off without the worry of the husbands finding out, but as you can guess with each bigger and better thing we wanted it would take endless hours and sometimes days to make sure all the tracks were covered and secret details of the truth hidden.We lied to ourselves and husbands so much that we actually believed that no harm was being done and it was something they really wanted to do for us. When the truth was we were pulling string that would come back to bite some of us in the very purse we were depending on for our very lives.I cannot remember when the first contest even started. What I can tell you is that after I shot my mouth off bragging it started with a few partially drunk women claiming to have the most control over their husbands. It was simply to have a new credit card with the highest spending limit before the next meeting of the book club. To some that is no big deal, just get the card and just not use it, right? Well, that is what a smart and sane person would do, but we were bored women who were only interested in treating our boredom by seeing what we could get out of a man.The second contest was not so easy. It was decided at the next meeting that we needed something a little harder to get something that the men would really have to work harder to make happen for us. Mindy thought we should see who could talk their husbands into a new car. Now that did not mean it had to be brand new off the show room floor, just new to us, and with the biggest price tag. On this contest I was not the winner, but I did score a new car only a few months old. The winner of this contest if you are interested scored a brand new Lexus fully loaded with a sunroof. Even at this we still were not satisfied we all wanted to win at least once.The third was a house if you did not already own one. This contest to some of us was nothing because we already owned homes and I knew that we had already bought the biggest and best house we could afford on his salary and I did not really participate in this one.The next one was a new set of wedding rings with at least a 4,000 price tag. This one I took with a four-karat set of diamond wedding rings that it took my husband maxing out one credit card and taking out another one just to pay for my rings. These rings did not mean anything to me and I later sold them at a loss just to get rid of them. The truth is that I really did not like them from the start they were just something to put me on the top of the game for once.Over the years there were many other contests and some I won and some I did not and with each loss I worked harder the next time to be the one on top. Soon this was a way of life for the women of the book club. Since our husbands weren't giving us anything constructive or exciting to think about, all we could think about was the competition, and being women, it was fierce to say the least. For some of us it seemed like the best time of our lives, but it was really the cancer that consumed our marriages.This is still going on with some of the women. I received an e-mail a few days ago telling me that this year there was to be a Christmas contest and the rules were that it had to be a diamond of at least one karat in a solid gold setting. The winner would be the one with the biggest price tag.I know what I did was cruel on some level, but I can't say that I feel bad about it, or that I will take the blame for the divorce. I was ignored to the point of not being able to love or be loved, and I was so bored that I would have done anything for a thrill. I guess we are all lucky that much worse damage wasn't done. I will tell you this: there are times that a woman can be her own worst enemy. So be careful with the action you take and be smart. Know if you are the one being cast in the part of the fool of your marriage.I hope that is something you can share with your readers, this was my real life and I hope others can learn from it. I'm having to restart my life at the age of 40, so you figure out who was really the one with control of the marriage in the end and who, if anyone, were the winners of any contest.Sincerely,HannahGentlemen, I know that I talk about this a lot, and I do it because this is so much more critical an issue than what we have any frame of reference to understand or empathize with. When we get bored, we just do something goofy, grab our tools, flip on a ball game, or play grab-ass. Women can't be satisfied with that, because their need for emotional energy is so much higher than ours.By the time they take radical enough action to alleviate their boredom, they've already reached a point where rational thought, self-control, and even compassion are no longer possible, because they are truly desperate for relief. I'm not at all saying that they should never be held accountable for their actions, but I will point out that it is a whole lot easier for you to alleviate their boredom than to clean up the aftermath of them doing it themselves.What's really sad is that not only do women give off all kinds of signals that we could read to know when they're in this kind of trouble but don't know to look for them, they also tell us, but not in ways we are born to understand. For example, she doesn't ask you if you think everything is alright to find out what you're thinking, she asks to try to tell you that she has a problem, but you have to recognize the attempt and invite her to open up, proving that she has your attention and you care enough to listen, before she will spend the time to and effort to try to talk with you about it.Regardless of who is ultimately responsible for a woman's actions, there's no denying that we can do a better job of positively influencing both their actions and our lives together. You tell me, would you rather see your wife smile because you just surprised her with a cute note or a subtle pinch or pat on the behind or see her angry and frustrated, rolling her eyes and walking out of the room? Either one is your choice, possibly even more than her own, and equally easily-achieved.Or maybe you'd like to see, as some of the men on our forum, http://forum.makingherhappy.com, have seen, what female mid-life crisis (MLC) looks like up close and personal. Drop by and read about what they've been going through, and I'll bet the farm you don't want anything to do with a problem like mid-life crisis. You'll happy to know that women who are happy and fulfilled don't seem to fall prey to this menace, so given that her boredom level is largely under YOUR control, you can do much to prevent it - and I suggest you do, because once it starts, there's nothing anyone can do to arrest it and it has to run its course, possibly destroying the entire family permanently.It's not that we are responsible for a woman's happiness, but we can help facilitate it much easier than they can themselves in a lot of ways, and in the end, their happiness, if they are a true partner, will help to create our own as their nurturing drive engages. We can lead, we can share, we can protect, validate, and help to justify and celebrate their achievements. They are capable of many things, including many of the same things of which we are capable, but being far more social in nature than we are, they need a degree of social reinforcement to feel worthy of their happiness. Men generally look inside themselves for feelings of self-worth, while women are often compelled to look to others for such feelings.The bottom line is that everything in your life needs attention, preventive maintenance, if you will. If you gas up your car and drive it until it breaks down, it will break down a lot faster, will it not? The same thing goes for your relationship and marriage. There are things you need to know and do that will keep your life together running smoothly, and it will break down quickly if you don't know and do them.So, you want me to give you an owner's manual for your marriage? Sounds weird, but okay, here you go. Go to http://www.makingherhappy.com and download your copy of "THE Man's Guide to Great Relationships and Marriage," and make sure that you're not the guy going to the poor house and divorce court because you couldn't recognize the red light on your wife's dashboard.In the meantime, live well, be well, and have a wonderful day!David Cunningham "Being a man is something to which one should aspire, not something for which he should apologize." --David Cunningham

0 comments:

Post a Comment