Friday, December 6, 2013

The Asymmetrical Lob A Love Story

The Asymmetrical Lob A Love Story
So if you follow me on Twitter you might have stumbled upon a tweeted pic or two of my hair before and after a recent cut. (And if you don't follow my lovely little tweets, you should!) It's been a long while since I went to the salon for more than a one or two inch trim. You can blame that on the Hair-Raising Story from November 2010... also known as: The Time a Hair-Stylist Gave Me a Mullet. Tragic, but true.

Anyway, I'm blogging about this time because it's a major success. I'd kept my hair long and avoided cutting it for several reasons that I'm sure many of you can relate to. Reasons being: A bad haircut in the past that scarred me for life. Boyfriends who were crazy over my long locks. A wedding I was in and wanted to have long enough hair to style all pretty and such. Well, I got over the fear of another mullet. I'm currently single, loving it, and have become such a "comfortable-in-my-own-skin" and "do-what-I-want-with-my-hair-and-makeup-and-clothes" that I was just dying for a drastic change. And the wedding was months ago, so I no longer have a valid excuse to put off a haircut.

I was originally inspired by Keira Knightly's hair on the December 2012 cover of Allure. Seriously, I love love love Keira... her acting, her style, her beauty. She's so very lovely that I almost considered dying my hair brown. Almost. ;) But I'm far too attached to red.

And then, coincidentally on the same day I saw this blog post pop up in my Facebook feed. Caitlin, blogger over at xoJane was also inspired by Keira and cut her own lob... while drinking a few beers. The original post (Do This Don't: Get Drunk and Hack Off Your Hair) is very funny and this girl looks lovely with both long locks and a long bob.

The morning of my appointment, however, I almost chickened out. I realized that I've had a bob and even a lob (long bob) many-a-time and that it wasn't really a huge change for me. In fact, in the past I'd usually grown tired and bored of it within a few weeks. Fortunately for me and my hairstylist Natalie, I hopped onto Pinterest and ended up finding an inspiring new take on the classic.

I have very wavy hair naturally, so I immediately was smitten with the wavy, beachy lob pictured at the top left, top right, and bottom left. All I needed was a way to spice it up a bit... and that's when I found the photo of Shenae Grimes' adorable asymmetrical cut. It was love at first sight. It was just different enough to be the change I needed... without requiring I shave off half my head or go for a pixie cut. (Both things that I would not and just could not
pull off.)

And I love it! My hairstylist Natalie knew exactly what I wanted. It feels soooo good to have all that weight and all those dead ends gone. I love the floaty head feeling and the sudden decrease in how much shampoo and conditioner I actually have to use. It'll be super easy to style my hair with my natural waves. Plus, it looks cute straightened or blow-dried then curled (like Natalie did, at right). And I adore the little tiny ponytail I can pull my hair back into. :)

Any of you undergone some mini (or major) makeovers for 2013? I'd love to hear about them, so do up a blog post and leave a link to it as a comment here. Happy hair-styling!

Origin: gamma-male.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment